Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Happy March Everyone!

The weather here has been gorgeous the last couple of days. Such a nice treat to have the golden sun drape over us, melting away the snow, ahhh. It feels like spring, which is just around the corner!

Lately all I want to eat is fruit, especially mangoes, persimmons and papaya, delish! I have been drinking lots of green smoothies, my favourite currently consisting of mango and spinach, sometimes adding spirulina, yum yum.


For lunch today we had a yummy salad made of spinach, romaine, parsley, cilantro, apple, avocado, carrot, leek and walnuts. I didn't feel like having a heavy dressing on the salad, so I opted for more of a salad juice, consisting of orange juice, lemon juice, rosemary, cinnamon, stevia, salt and evoo.

Yesterday for lunch we enjoyed a Velvety Mushroom Walnut Soup. I'm sure my mom is sticking her nose up as she reads this, she absolutely despises mushrooms...actually my whole family does. True at one time I followed the herd, but then discovered the unique flavour mushrooms offer. This recipe is for the mushroom lovers out there. The soup is quite rich, mushroom-y, flavourful and filling.

Attention Jesseline: You must try this my mushroom loving friend ;)


Velvety Mushroom & Walnut Soup
2 cups of mushrooms (I used white)
1 cup celery
3/4 cup water
1/2 walnuts (soaked)
1 tablespoon of Braggs
1/2 clove garlic
1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Blend until smooth.

The other day I made some really yummy spinach enchiladas for our dinner...


...accompanied by sour cream & cilantro stuffed avocados.


The filling was Green Chile, Lime, Cilantro Sun Seed Pate, a recipe from Cafe Gratitude's, I Am Grateful. I subbed the sunflower seeds for pumpkin seeds, replaced the jalapeno with red chili, used lemon juice instead of lime, and made a few other mods. I was making the spinach wraps from the I Am Grateful book, but they just were not working out for me, so I played around and came up with a yummy spinach and zucchini wrapper. I don't have the exact measurements yet, but I will share it with you when I make it again. I stuffed the wrappers with marinated spinach, the seed pate, whipped up a sour cream topping, served with a side of salsa, and stuffed avocado, yum.

Raw Basics Workshop
I'm excited for my workshop on Saturday, though I made need to change the date. Many of the people that came to my "Introduction To Raw Class" have communicated to me that they would love to attend the workshop and are interested in future ones, but it seems that March is a busy month for many. Three of the people will away, one is not well, and another will be out of town for a concert. I will make a decision later on in the week to whether the date should be postponed.

Raw at the Farmers Market
I'm looking forward to Sunday, which is when I will be meeting up with Sarah who runs the farmers market here in town. When the market starts this May I would love to have a table set up and sell my raw goodies on Saturdays. Brent said he would help me setup and run my little business, plus we get to spend time together :) He loves my food, and thinks that the market is a great way to share my passion, tasty food and health with others. I'm very grateful to have Brent's support, he is my best friend. Today I made a list of what I would like to sell at my table; brownies, cookies, crackers, single slices of cheesecake, pie, cake, torte, tarts, prepared salads, sprouts, and freshly made smoothies. I want people to know that I will also be taking orders for whole pies, cakes, etc. I'm really excited for this opportunity and what a great way to spend the remaining months in Ontario before our move out west doing what I love most, making raw goodies!

Desserts on my Mind
I have so many ideas running through my mind for my future ebook, I can barely sleep at night. I know that currently I do not have the resources to develop all of the recipes for my ebook, and that it will time to put this project together. If I did have the resources to create all of the raw dessert recipes for my project, I don't think I would get much sleep because I would be playing in the kitchen...and that would be just fine with me! This reminds me of the time when Brent came down to the kitchen....it must have been around 3:00am. I couldn't sleep and I was making a tart, lol. He looked at me, his eyes barely open and said; "what are you doing?", trying not to smile. I started to laugh and said; "I think there is something wrong with me, I can't sleep and I feel like making dessert". I love that about living with no rules, we can do as we please...like make raw dessert at 3:00am, even if you have no intentions of eating it :) I would never have been allowed to tinker around in the kitchen in the early hours of the morning when I lived at home...my mom hears EVERYTHING ;) For me making raw desserts is a way to express myself creatively, and when the creative bug hits me I just roll with it!

Now that we are on the topic of desserts again, I would like to know...
What's your favourite raw dessert? What was your favourite SAD dessert?

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on all your projects and keep those ideas a happening!.....so excited for you!

    Your food looks awesome!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those meals look amazing! Honestly I could eat them all up right now lol.

    Good luck with the E-Book and market stall! You're creations looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delish!!

    I am doing the low fat thing right now.. but as a treat.. I may give them a try !!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam-Cakes: You are the sweetest! Thank you for your wonderful words of encouragement and support. I'm so happy to have crossed cyber paths with you :) xo

    Mel: Thank you for the lovely compliment and your encouragement, it means a lot to me. If I could I would love to share some goodies with you! Sharing is the best part :) I enjoy when I see Brent eating the food I've prepared with love...it's gratifying.

    RawDad: Thanks :) I usually eat low fat because too much fat doesn't agree with me. I prefer and often opt for fresh fruit, greens and veggies. I do like small portions of savoury, but if I am going to eat anything as my treat, I would much prefer RAW DESSERTS! They are to live for :) I made a really yummy fruit smoothie today with nuts or avacado...I'll post it soon. Perhaps you can try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mandy the panda...cutie! I'm missing some of these great creations of your's to drool over!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pam-Cakes! Yes, I need to get back in my kitchen. Soon I will be making lots of stuff for the Farmers Market, so then I will have lots more to contribute. I have been taking a little break with the gourmet because my body has been going through some changes and craving mother natures simple foods. Have you tried any of my recipes yet? I would love to know if you liked the cookies or ice cream. xo

    ReplyDelete