Friday, February 26, 2010

Celebrate a Mexican Stay-cation...with Ice Cream!

I'll start with the best part.....dessert, because there are no rules ;)

So, the weather outside is frightful and I'm dreaming of a warm vacation, but...it's just not going to happen. How about celebrating a stay-cation with a typical summer dessert that has a warming spice? Sign me up! I just have to share this recipe with you peeps...it is sooo yummy *licking lips*. It is the best chocolate ice cream that I have ever had. I was making some almond milk today and then I had this brilliant idea to make ice cream...in the winter, so perhaps what I really wanted was a summertime dessert to celebrate a stay-cation, yay! Chocolate seemed like a good choice because, well, it's chocolate! Plus a little extra richness is perfect for the colder season. Would it be possible to have an ice cream that was not only delicious and cool BUT could warm me up...ABSOLUTELY! I just have to share this recipe with you all. I hope you like it as much as B and I do...did ;)

WARNING! Not for the chocolate faint of heart!!!

Mexican Hot Chocolate Crunch Ice Cream

Almond Milk Base
2 cups of soaked almonds
2 cups of water

Put almonds and water in the blender and blend until smooth. Pour Almond Milk Base into a nut milk bag or the panty hoe stocking (it's what I use).
Reserve pulp for raw unbaking, add it to your porridge or compost, but it's not welcome in the ice cream ;)
Pour the Almond Milk Base back into the blender.

To the blender containing the Almond Milk Base add;
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 soft medjool dates
1/2 cup cacao powder
1 tablespoon of vanilla or 1 vanilla bean, scraped
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of salt (this really is essential)
1/8 teaspoon of cayenne powder (leave out for regular chocolate ice cream)

Blend until smooth.

Next add;
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1 tablespoon of lecithin

Blend until completely smooth.

Stir in
3/4 cup of cacao nibs

Poor into an ice cream maker (and follow manual instructions) or if your like me and do not have an ice cream maker, do it old school (you will need to be home for a few hours). Pour ice cream into a shallow container and freeze. Every one to two hours stir the ice cream. When the ice cream is frozen you are ready to eat!

A little bit of love in every bite.

Note: If you have children that will be eating this ice cream or if you are sensitive to caffeine you can definitely replace half of the cacao with carob. I am certain it would be just as yummy.

If you guys decide to make this, I would love to know what you think.

For lunch I whipped up a quicky soup. It looks so pretty and it's green...my fav food hue!

It was a combo of coconut milk, cilantro, lime juice, cucumber, carrot, curry, garlic, ginger, chili, and salt. Since it was a quicky I don't have exact measurements. It was quite tasty. I just love raw soup, so nourishing and simple to digest.

Have a great weekend and thanks for popping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment