Sunday, February 7, 2010

Raw Gourmet Kitchen Marathon

I have been busy making some raw gourmet goodies the last few days. Here are some yummies that I prepared through the week and weekend, but first let me introduce to you my little kitchen helpers...


Donald & George!

I love my green smoothies and juices for breakfast, but sometimes it’s nice to have a heartier treat on the weekend. Porridge is always an appropriate breakfast choice, especially in the cold winter.

Almond and Chia Porridge
Makes 2 servings


Almond and Chia Porridge
•1/2 cup almond pulp
•1/4 cup of chia soaked in half cup of water (for a 15 minutes or up to a few hours)
•1 apple diced (or pear)
•1 1/4 cup of almond milk (use more if needed)
•3 tablespoons of agave
•1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
•1 teaspoon of cinnamon
•Pinch of salt

Put all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and stir. Transfer mixture to two bowls. Top each bowl with chopped almonds, a drizzle of agave and a few pinches of cinnamon.
Chia is not so photogenic, but very tasty.

Black Raspberries
Since berry season is far from near, I was examining all of the different berries in the freezer section of our local health food store. I came across heirloom black raspberries and decided to make some desserts based on these little gems. They are sweeter then raspberries and really rich in flavour, I just love them. They have the strongest staining power, wow. My hands were stained a pretty purplish-navy hue...not so attractive on the skin ;)

Black Raspberry Cream


This is so good. It’s simple, and has the most delish flavour!

Black Raspberry Cream
•2 cups of black raspberries ( I used frozen ones thawed at room temperature)
•1 medium avocado
•4 medjool dates
•2 tablespoons of agave (or more)

Blend in a high speed blender or food processor.

Eat with fresh fruit or layer in a parfait. I made my parfaits with a layer of buckwheat crisps (dehydrated sprouted buckwheat) and chopped nuts, a layer of chopped mango and a layer of Black Raspberry Cream. Repeat till glass is full. Mmmmmm! Eating this dessert give you natural deep purplish lips :)

Black Raspberry Cream Pie


This pie flavour turned out amazing! Definitely one of my favourite desserts. The consistency could have been a little firmer in my opinion, so some tweaking is still needed. But taste wise, yum! The crust reminds me of rich, buttery shortbread cookies, a definite keeper.

I wanted to make a special dinner tonight for Brenty-Boo and I. In the mood for a creamy quiche with a flaky crust, I searched for some recipes, but I did not have many of the specified ingredients on hand, so I opted to come up with a hopefully tasty recipe based on what was in my fabulous fridge. Brenty-Boo has never been a fan of quiche and I have only made it once before, but it was cooked, still vegan though. He said that it turned out delicious and that no tweaking was needed, sweet!

Cheesy Broccoli and Kale Quiche


I think the recipe needs tweaking...but once it seems close to perfect I will gladly share it with you ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment